View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Correctly Aligning Text Within a Table

I hope someone can give me some clues on how to do this as I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure it out.

I've got quite a few plays in epub form but the formatting seems to have gone astray.

All the text is in the form of tables so as to properly separate the speaker from what is spoken.

e.g.
Code:
<table>
    <tr>
      <td>person 1:</td>

<td>"Blah, Blah, etc, etc, and so on."</td>
    </tr>
</table>
Now this seems to appear fine if the spoken text is quite short, but if they are saying alot and the text wraps on the screen, then the first cell seems to becomes centred in a vertical alignment.

What I want is for the first cell to have the text at the top of the cell so as to make it easier to see where the speaker starts.

e.g.

Code:
Person: "Blah, blah, blah,
             blah, blah, blah,
             blah."
and not

Code:
             "Blah, blah, blah,
Person: blah, blah, blah,
             blah."
I'm sure it would be possible to play around with this so solve this for a single device, but I'm going to reading them on device with different screen sizes. i.e. PRS-600, Desktop PC with a 17" screen, Laptop PC with a 15" screen.

So what I'm looking for is a solution that is screen/resolution independant.

Any help would be most appreciated.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote