View Single Post
Old 04-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #16367
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I finished Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card last night. I was a little bit worried about it, given how my opinion of the author has plummeted in the 20 years since I read Ender's Game but I ended up liking it quite a bit. It's really just the story of a family with problems. The big reveal about the aliens was obvious to me from the start, and Ender's genius often seems to revolve around pointing out things that other people really should have noticed ages ago, but for all that it is a decent story and the characters feel real.

I have no intention of reading the third book, or any of the many follow-ups and spin-offs.[...]
I think that's best. I really liked Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead (each so very different) but what I read of the books that follow - while each have their moments of brilliance - I tended to find them disappointing by the end.

I would also add that sometimes things can be obvious to a reader that need not be obvious to the characters. When reading science-fiction we have certain expectations, we're on the lookout. The characters in the story had been studying the piggies for years, it changes their perspective. It is not uncommon for an outsider to come in and see things that are in retrospect obvious, but are effectively invisible to those that were so deeply involved from the start.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote