View Single Post
Old 03-05-2024, 03:51 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Discontinuation of Amazon Appstore on Windows 11

I received an email from Amazon today:

Quote:
Dear Customer,

We are writing to inform you about changes to the availability of Amazon Appstore on Windows 11.

Starting March 6, 2024, Amazon Appstore will no longer be available for download from the Microsoft Store on Windows 11 devices. After March 5, 2025, Amazon Appstore on Windows 11 and any apps downloaded from it will not be supported. For additional details and insights into this transition, please read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) section: www.amazon.com/appstoreonwindowsFAQ

Despite this change, we want to assure you that Amazon Appstore will continue to be available and supported on Fire TV, Fire Tablet and Android devices. We appreciate your understanding and continued support as we work to enhance and evolve the Amazon Appstore experience on those devices.

If you have further questions, please contact Amazon Customer Service.

Amazon Appstore
From the FAQ referenced in that email:

Quote:
Why is Amazon Appstore leaving Windows 11?
Microsoft will end support for the Windows Subsystem for Android (WSA) on March 5, 2025. WSA is essential for users to run Android apps on Windows 11, and its discontinuation means the Amazon Appstore will no longer be supported on Windows devices.
I am sorry to hear this. I use WSA on my Windows 11 PC to provide access to the Kindle for Android app. I prefer that app because it is more full featured than the Kindle for PC app that runs natively under Windows. I assume that I still will be able to run it under a different Android emulator. It just won't be as convenient.

I do wonder why Microsoft is dropping Android support in Windows. Is is not popular enough? Did they have a falling out with Amazon?
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote