View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
I've found that PDFs render fine on my Sony ereader as long as they are sized for the ereader's screen. When that is the case, everything (fonts, graphics, and other formatting) renders perfectly on my ereader at the default (S) size.

Despite its limitations, this is the main reason I've chosen PDF as the format I use to make ebooks for my reader. With other formats I've had even more frustration than the inability to resize an ebook. As an example, with RTFs I've been unable to get it to predictably render the typefaces that I want (serif sometimes shows up as serif and sometimes as san-serif), and since I use fonts to indicate different meanings it affects my reading experience.

What I don't count on with PDFs is be able to do any kind of size manipulation on my ereader (or any reader). As an example, when the PDF is sized for standard typing paper I've found it best to read it after printing it on paper. Despite being larger than my ereader's screen, it isn't as easy for me to read the PDF on a computer screen. With the ebooks I create, when I want to increase the size of the text I just change size of the text in the source document and then regenerate the PDF for my ereader.

Although my ereader can reflow PDFs, I've found that I don't like the results even when the PDF is text only. It tends to lead to awkward formatting (such page breaks in the middle of pages).

As a test, you could make an ebook formatted for your ereader's screen. OpenOffice.org is a free office suite that can generate PDFs. If you set the page size to the same size as your reader's screen, when you page preview the ebook you can see exactly what it will look like on your ereader's screen. This might give you a better experience with PDFs on your reader.

I hope this helps.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote