View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #13
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@RbnJrg --

Quote:
It seems that you didn't watch my epub Superscripts and underscripts are not problems any more in ADE with the following styles:
No, I really did review the epub you put together to explain (and thanks again). Still looking through it to see what else I can learn.

DaleDe suggested trying line-spacing = 0 and that didn't seem to help doing just that

I'm still working through your sample, but so far I think that the classes for sup and sub work best for inline text, and the font superscript and subscript characters for the hopefully few instances where there's a square root sign. For those the font characters looks much better.

The letter-spacing was a great tip (as I said in #7) and fixes the 'too close' characters. I might do that everywhere since it seems to improve readability.

The text-decoration: overline; was also new to me, and combining with the radical sign does make it look much nicer.

I'll add some new clips for these, but I wonder if there's a way to allow the user to select their own glyphs for [Insert Symbol]?? That would make it more convienent.

So here's where I am for now, thanks to your and Jellby and DaleDe's suggestions

Code:
p {
  font-size: 1em;
  text-align: left;
  margin: 0 0 0.25em;
  text-indent: 0;
}

.indent {
  text-indent: 2em;
}

.overline {
  text-decoration: overline;
}

.underline {
  text-decoration: underline;
}

.jump {
  margin-bottom: 2em;
}

.ls {
  letter-spacing: 0.2em;
}

sup {
	line-height: 0;
	vertical-align: super;
   font-size: 60%;
}

sub {
	line-height: 0;
	vertical-align: sub;
    font-size: 60%;
}
So here's the current version in ADE. There's no line spacing changes caused by tghe sub/super scripts (a good thing), the sub/super scripts are readable, the square root looks nice. Only small thing is the line break between the a and the superscript 2 towards the end. I checked and there is no space between.

All I can say is that I'm glad I don't do this for a living. This whole project started out as doing a favor for my brother, and I wanted to make it look as nice as I could (easily )

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	three.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	107050  

Last edited by phossler; 06-16-2013 at 10:16 AM.
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote