View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #149
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightGeometry View Post
I have *never* heard 'expected' used in that way before, is it normal in US English to use 'expected' when you mean 'did'?
U.S. English is a very fluid language. And colloquialisms have become a part of the written language. I find nothing wrong with using "had expected to order" in this NYT's story. It sounds natural to me, even if technically it may be a little off.

In this case, you have to view "had expected to order" in the context of the rest of the story. There is a stated number of 19 million as the original order. So if Apple hadn't ordered 19 million, then where did the number come from? There is also the fact that there are "cuts." Well "cuts" from what? There has to be a starting point that is higher.

It all just fits. Interpreting it any other way within the story is illogical.

And Semenza in the CNET article makes it clear that there were "cuts."

--Pat