View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #14
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I get where vxf is coming from. Few things annoy me as much as obvious typos in print (despite making them myself), yet I'm fairly acceptant when they appear in eBooks (probably OCRd in the Philippines, what can you expect). Obviously a dichotomy that shouldn't be accepted, and vxf has reached that stage, whereas I'm probably still enamored with the new technology, hence my acceptance threshold is for some irrational reason higher.
The whole deDRM process is fairly smooth, as soon as I purchase an eBook it goes into Calibre, yes it is a process but for me it is so ubiquitous that I no longer think about it. Then the Calibre library is automatically backed up to the cloud every fortnight and to an external HDD every other fortnight. Hence my backup is never more than a week old. Unless I've been on some splurge, I don't stand to lose more than one or two books, hopefully they will still be on my device.
The annotation mess I completely understand. Working in academia the ability to take notes and refer back to them including citations is probably the most laborious part of research. Streamlining and digitalizing that part would be a tremendous efficiency booster, and not a single eReader producer seems to have understood the benefits available.
As for some titles not being available in the US, all I can say is welcome to my (and the rest of the) world. Consider yourself lucky to be in America, you have more titles available than anywhere else. You can even buy foreign language versions from foreign countries without being geo-restricted, exactly the thing the rest of us non-native English speakers are trying to do when we look into VPN setups and pre/paid credit cards. The things we are willing to submit ourselves to for the love of reading, is now a little more clear, my dear vxf.
bolding by me.

Ouch

That's all I'm going to say about it.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote