Thread: E-book prices
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 PM   #25
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I occasionally hear the argument that if one can afford an e-reader they should really not complain about expensive e-books, or be picky about how much they'll pay. That doesn't really make sense to me.
Nope. It doesn't hold water.
Just because one can (theoretically) afford to be ripped off daily doesn't mean you enjoy it or should tolerate it.
As I said above, the question is *value*.

eBook readers have a usable, active lifetime measured in years. Books have an active lifetime measured (at most) in days. One is a tangible electronic tool whereas the other is an intangible "experience" which is purely subjective; thus its value is personal and subjective. Enjoyable and convenient as they are, ebooks have no residual value beyond the experience as they can't be (easily or often) loaned nor legally resold. So comparing their value to ebook readers or even hardcovers isn't easily defensible.
Even paperbacks are a stretch...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote