View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #24
gracie
Enthusiast
gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gracie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm not endorsing piracy, and would be unlikely to go to their websites, but then I'm old and even pay for the software I use. I think this whole thing deserves a big "Duh!"

The major publishers are still operating in 19th century robber-baron mode, in a 21st century world with 21st century technology. And incessantly claiming poverty, which I think the vast majority of people no longer believe (if they ever did).

Colluding to raise prices, treating the buying public with disdain (as was stated earlier), charging ridiculously high prices for a format with miniscule add-on costs (if you can sell a paperback for $3, is there any reason other than greed that you can't sell an ebook for the same $3?)... Does anyone REALLY wonder why piracy is happening, and I suspect will grow increasingly, just as it has for computer software?

Electronic formats have, I believe, introduced new generations to reading. Those generations have, again I believe, a much greater acceptance of music "piracy", software "piracy", and ebook "piracy". When it's sufficiently cost effective to purchase a "legitimate" copy from a "legitimate" source, the piracy will decrease. If that doesn't happen, it'll grow...
gracie is offline   Reply With Quote