Thread: Indexeses
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 02:29 PM   #62
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Sorry... let's now resume the actual discussion. I like the idea of "Views" or "Filters". Show me all books I haven't read. Now show me all books I've read and want to review. Show me all books currently on my Freedom Reader (heh). Show me all books I bought from Sony and haven't read.
For me tags is the best way to do this. Have you ever use delicious? You can tag each link with as many tags as you want. You make up the tags you want to use. Then, along the right side of your links is a list of all your tags. If you click on one tag then you only see the links with that tag. In addition to that another tag list pops up, this is all the other tags that the current links contain. So, you can click on a second tag to filter further.

In your case you can have a tags like "read", "toreview", "ondevice". Of course, some tags could be auto created by the software. Like "ondevice" would be a good example.

To me this is the most flexible way of indexing. Folder are "nice" but many times something fits in more than one folder... or the folder taxonomy is specific to something... say "genre" but you also want to see all the sf books you need to review... the folders fall down. But, with tags you just choose tags sf and toreview and viola.

Of, btw, delicious doesn't have it, but you should be able to negate a tag too. For example, I want to see everything withOUT a read tag to know what I haven't read yet rather than forcing me to create a read and a toread tag.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote