View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #22
khmann
Enthusiast
khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.khmann once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: b006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobad View Post
key="$(waitforkey)"
loving it

Quote:
Use { blah ; } instead of (blah)
Use [[ blah ]] instead of [ blah ] as it's faster.
don't understand.

Quote:
Actually you could probably combine it all in to one echo like:
echo -e "19 0\n18 0\n19 7" >
This is what I want, but for some reason its not working for me.

Quote:
Instead of `seq 1 5` ... , it's faster when using small intervals to just do "1 2 3 4 5"
DOH! thought I had 1 up'd you here - less instructions... ; )

-------------------

I went to Barnes & Noble today. Nook STR... wow. Nice form factor, touch screen is very responsive, page turn buttons suck. Screen refresh...

First off, the Nook tries to do full-flashes "about" every 6 pages, or at the start of chapters. Sometimes it seems like it flashes much more than it has to, probably software bugs - like it would full-flash multiple pages in a row around chapter endpoints, etc. Ghosting effect minimal, seemed about the same as with the FixFlash1 script above; the lighting wasn't good...

Page turn speed is very fast, probably "technically" about the same speed as kindle full-flash, but optically much less disruptive. I completely agree that "your brain filters out the kindle flash", mine did... I really wasn't ever bothered by it in the first place, it's just that the Nook feels faster because your brain starts to interpret the page quicker - my brain just kind of pauses for the whole flash duration. Anyway...

I think the FF1 script above achieves "real world usable" optical and usability results, but it won't win any speed contest. Side by side (unfortunately very different source material), I would say the Nook is easily twice as fast as FF1.

Also, the nook refresh algo. is visibly different. It seems to draw the outline (lighter?) edges of words first - almost like it's pre-darkening areas which would ordinarily become the ghosting halo when the page is later cleared. Then the darker core of the text fills in.

When clearing a page, the main text goes to white and then the residual outline kind-of swaps to the outline for the next page, then the text fills in...

so it's essentially a total of 3 updates to the eInk per page turn, all of which are really quick.

I wonder if any part of the Nook's improved refresh is inside the eInk firmware. The Kindle loads it from flash when it initializes the display, the nook is newer and presumably uses the same panel, but perhaps the binary firmware has been updated for new capability? I'd love to get my hands on a copy...
khmann is offline   Reply With Quote