Thread: Audio Book?
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #9
ApK
What did you call me?
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Indie authors can upload to Audible via ACX. (Also goes out to Amazon and iTunes.)

You can hire indie narrators through ACX or find them on your own through LibriVox or Podiobook forums.
I listened to a LibriVox book recently, and while it wasn't bad (especially for free!) the quality of each section could be highly variable. Some sections were noisey and low volume, some were loud, but even just the change of voices was fairly distracting. So even if all the narrators were equally good, and all the pieces were the same level, the mere fact of there being different people doing each section makes their stuff less than ideal...but still better than some 'professional' audiobooks I've encountered.

The LibriVox effect is that of several people taking turns reading a book to you.
That's fine, but when a talented person 'performs' a book -- and I mean an unabridged reading, not a dramatization--you can get immersed in the idea that you're really hearing the characters say the dialog, or in the particular voice of the book's narrator.

Of course, the potential downside is that you hear that performer's interpretation, and not the interpretation that your own imagination would have cast on the words on the page, but I'm personally OK with that.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 08-10-2012 at 01:55 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote