View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
DaltonST,

Actually tried that during the experiment. Copied the target folder with the metadata of the sub-category library. Back to Calibre. Selected four articles. Went to Job Spy and clicked on the metadata tool menu and then the last item to Bulk update the column in question. Response:

calibre, version 3.13.0
ERROR: JS+ GUI Tool: No Comments/Long-Text Custom Column Was Selected.

Went back to doing THAT grouping, which only had 34 articles in it and manually did the update, one-by-one, then used Library Splitter to move them, only realizing that once I had the books selected through a query, I could just have used the regular built-in move routine, KNOWING the articles were unique in the end SC library. What Splitter DOES do, is answer the usual questions with no me sitting around waiting to do it. And IF I could get the tool you indicate WILL do the job to work, I have AutoHotkey all primed to copy the names of the sub libraries onto the clipboard with various hotkey combinations that make sense to me. I could fill a screenful or seventy easily this way, THEN let Splitter do it's magic while I watch a basketball game. Heaven-sent.

BUT the tool you have built to get around this BAFFLING inability to mass edit THAT column when every other column I got and the ones I added, all edit without question thanks to the tweak. What is it about THIS column that defies auto-adding to the MASS editor. It's there in the regular one-at-a-time editor. I know there's a reason. But that reason suffers from actual experience. Whatever it is.

Would search and replace work? I have eight sub-libraries currently. I could gin up a search and replace query, I think. I use one to store the incoming article/book original title on import into a column called #originaltitle. Would it be possible to insert a value into the #target_library_names column from S&R? It would be easy enough then to multi-select, e, third tab and pick the right saved query from the list and hit OK. Repeat for each category. Then Splitter and watch a basketball double-header and get a good night's sleep.

GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote