View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by estral View Post
Bear with me for a moment.

If Microsoft announced an eReader with the following policies, how would the ePublishing community react?

1. You do not purchase anything, all product is sold under a revokable license.
2. Your reader can be controlled and DISABLED remotely at the discression of the seller
3. Contents can be controlled remotely with features turned on and off at the will of the seller.

If Microsoft did this the sereaming by the publishing and IT communities would be so loud as to be deafening. So why is everyone so quiet about Amazon's policies, which are the ones listed above?

Beats me, any thoughts.

Uncle Eric
You know who else does 1-3? Valve with Steam...

and yet they are hailed as champions against oppressive DRM.

I think a better question is, would Amazon be getting as much flak from nerds if they weren't on top of the pile and if the publishers were doing something worse?

Sony isn't much better and they only open up when they fall behind in market share.

Last edited by Sporadic; 05-18-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote