View Single Post
Old 12-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Well, they WERE evil incarnate, those submarine plans didn't help them much.

I used to think that way about Toshiba, but I'm typing this on a Toshiba LT. What changed me? the realization that none of that stuff is done without the permission of the US Gov't. Official permission? maybe not. But de facto permission, fer sure.
Not correct:
a) The technology transferred was a Danish co., in concert with Toshiba selling software and hardware that allowed the Soviets to machine silent submarine props, similar to the best Western technology. The Commies did know how to design the props, they just couldn't manufacture them. It did advance Soviet submarine technology and make their subs much harder to track. They're now Russian subs, but they're still hard to track.
b) The thing that got them in trouble was bypassing COCOM review so government officials in Denmark and Japan (as well as the other COCOM signatories) could review the transfer. There were NO government officials involved. That was the crime.

WRT the game show. It is small beans compared to sub technology, but it still irritates me no end when unjust and prejudiced decisions aren't reviewed and reversed. Since other companies make competing products to Toshiba and Sony, I can boycott them with no loss to myself.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote