View Single Post
Old 10-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingy View Post
My only specific requirement is that it runs (or can be hacked to run) Android 2.3 or above, as I have an app that I would like to use on it. Native ePub support is a must too.
When I was visiting USA a year ago I saw Nook Simple Touch on sale. 50% off. I am pretty sure you will understand that I simply couldn't leave it there ;-)

I was well aware of the limitations (I thought), but, what the heck, $49 for an e-ink toy with Android and an easy jailbreaking path.
It was not like I was going to play Angry Birds on it, or try to watch Youtube. I thought I would install a few reading applications, such as Coolreader, FBReader, whatever and a few very light apps, such as a very spartan spreadsheet.
I never managed to make the spreadsheet run in a meaningful manner. The Android is less than 2.3 - you obviously know what you are looking for - but still, it was just ... awkward. It lacks physical buttons for Home, Back, Menu and such, so you have to have installed an app that provides that on screen, it fights with the default desktop software, even Coolreader and FBReader provided substandard experience as compared to a PocketBook e-ink raeader.

At the end, after the device spent several months gathering dust on a shelf, I sold it here in Europe with a slight loss.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote