View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #1233
knauck
root
knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Paperwhite USBNet startup bricked

Hi. I have a singularly nasty issue: a brand new paperwhite, running 5.3.5, jailbroken, with USBNet enabled on boot is giving me the fancy "Repair Needed" screen. I know what I did to cause this, I was trying to get a compiler set up on the device to build a few hacktools I like to use on my iPhone (dsniff suite ftw!) and accidentally chmod-ed the entire freaking /opt/amazon/ebook/lib folder to 000.

It took me about half an hour to hunt down what I did in my ssh logs, but I found it. I think I must have copy pasta'd the location without paying attention to what I was doing.

The difficult thing being that the device switches from Mass Storage mode to USB Networking mode too fast for a computer to see the device as a drive, and then switches to the repair screen before I can connect with ssh/sftp. Is my only option to take the device apart and use the serial port? I'd been looking for a reason to pop 'er open and install a sound card in the open WAN space and a microSD card on one of the other usb hubs...I'd just been hoping to avoid this =D.

Are there any other options?
knauck is offline   Reply With Quote