View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonj View Post
My language of choice is C#. I've gotten a feel for the Huffman algorithms that mobi seems to be based on. However, being new to algorithms and compression coding I'm seeking some guidance. What would be the best way to begin creating a C# library for .mobi conversion? (HTML to .mobi)... Is there anything out there like this already short of calling a command line (which I don't want to do)?
Yes there are three open source tools that generate MOBI files. All of the tools start from HTML then convert to MOBi. Partly because mobi is nothing more than a Palm Database file with HTML stored in the database.

The tools are, Calibre, eBookTools, and mobiperl. Calibre is written in Python, and the other two are written in perl. Calibre has a GUI, but in the end they are nothing more than comand line tools.

Look in the MobiRead Wiki page for more information on the MOBI format.

What you are proposing to do is not a light and easy task. All of the tools listed today do an okay job creating MOBI. Only calibre does a good job, (mobigen/Mobi Creator are also great) but that is only because calibre has spent years perfecting this

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote