View Single Post
Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Published in 1921, just after Poor White, The Triumph of the Egg & Other Stories is a wonderful collection. This is the collection that got me hooked on Anderson in the first place.

We had a reading assignment in HS English of one of his stories. The teacher did not care much for Anderson and let us all know that very plainly. Then again she didn't very much that was not The Diary of Anne Frank. I read the other stories in the textbook by Anderson and went out that weekend to buy The Portable Anderson. Since we were allowed to bring outside reading material to school I brought the book and read it in my free periods or study hall. When she saw the book her face turned red and she got mad. I think I would have had an easier time if it had been The Story of 'O'

So here it is and it still has my vote as the best of the lot.

I've read a number of Anderson's short stories, and I agree with you that he is an important (and underated) writer.

The teacher you mentioned should be damned for attempting to dictate to you her preferential reading tastes. I'm a teacher and that's my opinion.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote