View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 05:05 AM   #11
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by palex481 View Post
I'm not trolling. just stating my honest opinion. Wireless is just a way to burn a hole in your pocket in the amazon store. If you keep a couple hundred books on the reader like I did with my Sony it's completely unecessary.

I bet you will find several others on here who agree with my thoughts.
There are many more uses for the wireless than the Amazon store. I have never purchased a book using my Kindle. However, when I was back home in the states for a couple months, I put the wireless to good use. I used my trial subscription to the Wall Street Journal and I was very happy with being able to grab that from anywhere. Even without the subscription, though, I could use the web browser to go the mobile sites for the WSJ and the NYT. Wikipedia is another thing I used frequently. I loved reading articles on the Kindle versus reading them on the PC. I could also use Google. If I had a question or a topic I wanted to read about, I could just pull out my Kindle. This might not be as useful if you have an unlimited data plan with an iPhone or an Android phone but for longer articles, reading on an e-ink screen is a much more pleasurable experience.

I bailed on Sony after my 500 screen broke and I couldn't be happier. Sony did not put enough features into their readers. The 700 has much of the same features as the Kindle but I don't like typing on a touchscreen and the contrast is worse on the 700 due to the type of screen they had to use. Unfortunately, the K1 contrast is a step back from the 505 but the K2 is a big step up in every respect, in my opinion. I don't know what your needs are but you should definitely give the Kindle a little more time to grow on you. Personally, I found the searching and the dictionary immediately helpful. You should wait until you come across words you don't know and see how useful you find the dictionary feature on the Kindle. After a while, other Kindle features started to grow on me. I started highlighting passages and quotes I liked so I could remember them for later. I also started liking the "location" as a way of keeping my place rather than the traditional "pages." This ensured that no matter what font or device I was using, I would still be able to go right to the point in the book I wanted to be.

Give it some time and see if it grows on you. If not, you can always sell it on Ebay and get another Sony. The only advantage in having a Sony, I think, is the multiple formats it can read. However, given the fact that I strip DRM off all my ebooks, this doesn't matter much to me. ePub and lit books are very easy to convert to mobi. Reflowing PDFs is usually not a problem for me, either. Access to the Kindle store is much more valuable to me than being able to natively read several formats. Give it a some more time.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote