View Single Post
Old 07-01-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
rijker
curiouser and curiouser
rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, K1,K2, iTouch 16gb
As to #1, totally can see that the weight would be an issue for some readers. Am sitting here holding a textbook in one hand and the DX in the other and the DX wins out in lighter weight (and these are not legal or medical textbooks!). Again probably personal preference - I'm used to pretty hefty, solid hardback books!

#2 I didn't buy the DX for internet capability as such so can't say - I'm really happy with the Ipod touch for that purpose.

#3 Amazon really does need to get the organization thing worked out on all their models! I've gotten around some of this craziness with tagging, prefixing file names etc. This is a problem with all models in this line. They certainly need to fix it before the DX is useful in an academic setting.

#4 I use a whole range of PDFs in English and a number of other languages/fonts and have had great results (with some exceptions) If the source material is light, the PDF will show up really light . There are a number of ways to modify PDF's fairly quickly
- it's well worth learning about. Modifying PDFs (reducing file size using a tool like Acrobat Pro) also really helps with #5, crashing is reduced and loads are faster. All PDF's are not created equal! Especially when you get PDFs from all over the Web, you'll encounter a lot of different, funky formatting. I think it's pretty much the nature of the beast. You can dramatically improve a PDF's appearance using a few tools.

Anyway, good luck with your decision either way!
rijker is offline   Reply With Quote