Thread: MobileRead October 2013 *Category* Poll
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #90
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
As I have nothing against reading some classics I'm thinking that one of the best possible choices has won. I am really looking forward which books will be proposed. My only caveat is that the nature of this book club excludes many of the interesting German books. Well, that's just an opinion too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post

Thank you Billi, for reminding me of German literature. This made me think of the excellent Swiss writer Friedrich Dürrenmatt who wrote the classical philosophical 'krimi' Der Richter und sein Henker (The judge and his hangman). (I found this while living in Switzerland.)
That would be a book both the literary bookclub and MR-bookclub would enjoy, I'm almost sure of it. It is one of my favorite German-writing autors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Judge_and_His_Hangman
This is just a thought, but if there's sufficient interest among those who would like to read and discuss books by German writers in the original language, perhaps someone might want to approach some of the Greenies in the Deutsches Forum about starting a Deutsch Book Club. In the meantime, the MobileRead Book Club, of course, welcomes English translations of German authors anytime.

And if Philosophy wins the November slot, there's a wealth of writings by German writers that would make excellent choices for that category.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-12-2013 at 05:09 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote