View Single Post
Old 09-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartZorn View Post
OK. My server is a Core i5-4570, with 16 GB memory, running Windows Server 2016 standard edition. Two cores are occupied running a Hyper-V VM doing video conversions. The other two are doing only what a lightly loaded Windows Server does.

I did "calibre-debug -g >calibre.log" and lo and behold, startup took about 17 seconds. The log file is attached to this post.
Next I tried a normal startup of calibre, and that also took less than 20 seconds.

The library and the database are all on a local disk on this server, disk G:, not C:.

It seems that the problem has disappeared by itself. Not very satisfying.
Nah - something must have changed, I suspect you know that - Windows Yipdate, AntiViral... etc

I don't believe in fairies, or hobgoblins - unless they're of the kind mentioned in Menken's "In Defense of Women". But let's hope the cure sticks - whatever it was.

Were any video conversions running - I know they run in a VM but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartZorn View Post

calibre 3.7 embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.14393-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.14393')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.14393', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: None
Turning on automatic hidpi scaling
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 141.76744186 x 141.402061856
Using calibre Qt style: True
Starting up...
Started up in 17.28 seconds with 36266 books
Looks like you're running the the 32bit version of calibre. Any specific reason for that, not saying you shouldn't, or that it is the cause of the poor performance, but why use the Windows on Windows detour when there's no need.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote