View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #139
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, iPad Mini 2, Moto G Plus, PC
I might. I don't have a frontlit reader. In the last six months, we've purchased two Sony T1s at our house. The first was for our anniversary. It was on sale and my wife had expressed a desire. I was supposed to be allowed to use it sometimes, but she started loving it too much. The second was a Sony refurb for me for Christmas. It was only $80, with an unlit Sony case included. Both of these purchases were heavily influenced by price. Spending something like $220 on e-readers was already a big splurge. The price premium for the Kobo Glo could not be justified. Kindle Paperwhite was not available in Canada, but I'd never buy a Kindle anyway. I want EPUB and I want it to work with my public library, which the T1 does flawlessly.

I can see the value of the front light. I just don't think I could justify paying a lot more for it. If I want to read in the dark, my phone works well enough. Turning the screen to white on black text makes it much less tiring on my eyes. I also consider the frontlit technology somewhat experimental. Stories about the colour cast, uneven lighting, and possible problems with screen damage make me leery of jumping right in. My Sony should last for a while. By the time it needs replacing, the technology will be more developed and, hopefully, priced better. If I like what I see, I'll get one, if not, I'll see what else is available.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote