View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
john peer
john peer began at the beginning.

Device: mio 168
The Emperor has no backlight...

Firsto of all, great forum btw, lots of interesting opinions.

I have been reading eBooks for 5-6 years now on a hand-held device (PDA), my favorite being my Mio Mitac 169, which is a full-function PDA, GPS (built-in) wi-fi (with card) and multi-media player. I can access eBooks in most formats including my fav Adobe.

Now this unit does not allow me to switch to landscape mode, the battery is dying, the page scroll switches are worn....and so I have been researching newer options for a replacement. Including the new EReader options like the CyBook.

Can I just say that I think you're all a little bit crazy for buying devices with no back lights? ;-) I mean, half the fun/purpose of an eReader is being able to read when there is little (or no) ambient lighting. On planes/in cars/shared hotel rooms/shared beds....and in my case, in my home-on-wheels. (I'm working as a trucker).

I even see ads for lights to "add-on" to an eReader! Good grief.

Give your collective heads a gentle shake there, engineers, lol...the manufacturers need to wake up if they want to convert the legions of eBook fans that currently use PDAs etc over to their product!! I for one have become quite used to reading at 5-6 words per line, and with my adjustable backlight I can read in all light conditions.

In the meantime, the emporer has no clothes! And his eReader has no blinking backlight!

And $400-$500 for these mono-utilitarian devices!?

As the old-school Hollywood producers might say: "I just don't see it on the screen"...

And so I invite anyone to submit a suggestion for a replacement for my mio, that DOES have a backlight? Do ANY of the new ereaders have one?

If not, I think they missed the mark.

Cheers
jp
john peer is offline   Reply With Quote