View Single Post
Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #19
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Doing the job is actually exactly the issue one cannot predict beforehand. Its not like a decission between two *existing* devices we are talking....
More cases than you think, people consider not-yet-released product when they consider purchasing a product. For example, if a new CPU is announced, some people without urgent need for a computer can wait and see how it will perform. If the performance of a new CPU is not as expected, at least it will bring down the price of computers using an older generation CPU.

Quote:
IMHO its still not clear which options this "halfed" price will have installed, nor if this price already includes or excludes VAT. nor if this touchable display will be scribbable, nor when it will be really available.
Also I personally highly doubt that "touchable screen" means "scribbable" which you AFAIK just assumed...
I agree that we are working on many assumptions. There are two possibilities.
1) touch screen does not allow comment
2) touch screen allows comment
Let's assume the worst 1). For someone with desperate need for commenting, Iliad is the way to go. Even then, for those who don't have urgent need for comment (for example, I never underline my books), they can a bigger screen at a cheaper price.
If case 2) is true, than waiting for the new product becomes even more attractive.

Quote:
230€ price difference is a lot, but I personally gladly pay at least up to 100€ to keep stanard windows crashes and anger away from my device. (Yes If I take that price excl. VAT; the price difference is 35% (one third) not 50% (one half)
If it makes you happy, it is fine by me. However, I will not make such a tradeoff myself. BTW, whether the price of Astak/Netronix is exactly half of the Iliad is not the main point of my argument.
- It is cheaper by a significant margin, (whether it is half or not)
- It will offer a bigger screen (no doubt about this)
- It may/may not offer commenting feature. (Not very important for me)
- It may come out by the end of this year.
Given this expectation, I am willing to wait for Astak/Netronix rather than buying a Iliad.

I replied to this thread since someone with needs similar to mine may wait for future alternatives since it have a reasonable probability of hitting the market soon. Of course you need to buy Iliad right now if
- you need a best PDF viewer available on the market
- Need e-ink reader RIGHT NOW
- Commenting is essential

Quote:
If you believe all anouncements unfiltered go there: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22942 100$ for a color-epaper-device
This is clearly a 'concept' device. I already commented on the thread as such. Clearly concept device is quite different from a product with working samples. True, both have uncertainties involved, but you seem to completely ignore the degree of uncertainty.

Last edited by soilwork; 04-22-2008 at 04:20 PM.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote