Thread: Sad Sigil news?
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #40
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hi, Varlog:

I suspect not. Most of my "competitors" are using insta-programs like Jutoh, or AWP, or are uploading Word files that have been cleaned at NookPress and KDP. I just don't see a large enough commercial market for Sigil if, say, 20-30 largish commercial supporters don't step up and commit to $X annually to keep it going. And I don't think that means only $100 or even $500 each. I don't think most people have any idea what it takes to support coding. (I'm talking about someone nearly half-time, to keep up with the requests for everything that gets whacked around in here, as an OS project--not talking what I'd need for a forked version, supported by me for my company only).

John and the other guys have done yeoman's jobs...but again, nobody is going to do that for nothing forever. That's a reality of life.

Just my $.02. Yes, Sigil as-is will live on our servers for a long, long time...but as Albert knows, the market changes constantly. As little as a year ago, we didn't need some of what we need now. Some things--as small as DC: categories, can cause an ePUB to die at Lulu, for example (e.g., the Creator meta, instead of author). These things are easy to fix with Sigil, harder with other programs. I don't particularly want to use something else or to do most of this crap by hand, myself, and I promise my staff doesn't.

Hitch
Yup.

Juho does some decent job with css / html, but as someone with knowledge in css / html, it pains me to see badly codded ePubs. And sigil is a wonderful tools for that.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote