View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #348
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimble View Post
That depends on a number of factors. Eink consumes power only during screen transitions, but if you turn on wifi/3G that will constantly drain the battery.

When wifi is turned off (airplane mode), my kindle lets me get through 3-5 full length books (150K+ words per book) with a single charge. The same on a typical tablet will require at least two charges per book, even with brightness turned down, night mode, wifi off and battery conservation mode.
My point was the iPad has excellent battery life unlike most tablets.

I can easily finish HP5 Order of the Phoenix (250K words?) on the iPad and still have 50% battery remaining. Granted, I do read at minimum brightness (sometimes with extra dimming enabled) but that's because I find the display too bright. No other power saving options.

On the PW3, I often read at 4-6 brightness level with wifi disabled, font Bookerly at size 5. That front light is a constant drain on battery, too.

The iPad may use more power than the Kindle but it also has a much bigger battery to offset that increased power consumption.

Kindle Paperwhite 3: 1420 mAh
iPad mini 4: 5124 mAh
iPad 6th gen: 8820 mAh

Again, from my experience, the iPad lasts almost as long as my PW3 for ebook reading.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote