View Single Post
Old 12-21-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Ahem. It will be impossible to discuss this without reference to our current political situation. It seems scarily and eerily plausible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I was reading The Handmaid's Tale while studying, working in a Civics class, and dealing with the outcome of the elections. I wish I had highlighted the phrase(s) at the time, but something Offred said made me think of Trump, which made me think of my course readings and caused me to shiver.

This was my reaction, about a quarter of the way into the story:

I don't think Trump is the second coming of Hitler; honestly, he's not that charismatic, but I do think that he wouldn't be above trying.

As for the story itself, I felt intrigued. I wanted to know all of its secrets. The ending was an emotional letdown, even though it did not detract from the overall story. I am not sure, however, that I want to see the movie. I haven't decided as yet.

I hear you on that. So much so that I'm leery of commenting for saying something inappropriate outside the P&R forum.

I not so long ago read this again. The previous time was way back when it was first published. Probably age catching up with me, but the ending seemed to be different than what I recalled. The previous remembered was much bloodier yet optimistic than the actual.