View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 01:01 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
This was a big shock to me as my "cleaning up" process is mostly removing all the "Calibre-isms" (among other author-induced code bloat).

Might I ask what benefit is gained by taking a fully compliant ePub from Sigil and running it through an ePub->ePub conversion in Calibre?
for me - its that the CSS is then in a form that I am used to seeing, sorted & simplified. i know that the main book style will be called calibre and that the text body styles will be numbered and sorted.... the dropcaps style(s) [ which I usually remove] will be called dropcaps and not opening_charater_of_1st_line or some such nonsense
some books have what looks like a bloated, put in everything and the kitchen sink sort of css and for what I typically want to do : tweak line heights, line spacing, text margins, the calibre-ised one is easier to work with.
or at the opposite stream there may be bare <p> styles with no class. calibre will insert a class for me which I can then tweak
also calibre adds in my preferred extra css which saves me going it manually ; thats for justification, hyphenation, widows, orphans, and it standardises page margins
and it creates an original format fallback position, which I can restore from if I then proceed to mess up an edit. that gets removed only when I am fully satisfied so seeing both formats in the library signals to me that I have a tweak in progress or about to start.

Last edited by stumped; 04-24-2017 at 01:05 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote