View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric11210 View Post
It's not that I regret it. I did enjoy being in school. I enjoyed learning and I still do. However what I learned has very little to do with what I now do for a living and the pieces of paper I have mean exactly nothing to the clients I work for who only care if my writing is good and if I can get the job done on time. The irony of it all is that when I was 8 years old I knew I wanted to be a writer. It took going through 10 years of school and 19 different jobs before I got back to what I wanted to do when I was 8 and almost none of those 10 years of school or 19 jobs was particularly relevant since I was already getting praised for my writing when I was in high school. Actually, I still remember when I was in my first year of college I turned in a paper in my film class which my professor marked with a C+ and the following comment: "you deserve an F. You didn't write a single thing about what I asked you to write about. However, what you did write was so well written, I just couldn't flunk you." Anyway, bottom line, my higher education might have been enjoyable and might have given me lots of general knowledge, but it wasn't necessary for what I do for a living right now.
What a wonderful take on everything wrong with what is called education in the US. What is wanted are automatons who have no critical thinking ability and cannot thing then function in the abstract.

Even when was first off to college I was expected to go in a certain direction and everyone who "knew" backed it up...ultimately they never were close to right. People need the freedom to follow their inherent likes when it comes to education and career...not everyone needs a college degree nor does everyone want a college degree, some people are content to dig ditches some to build space stations...our system simply does not teach the freedom of thought to trust our own instincts.

I have three university degrees, two advanced and could have gotten a 4th if I had the time and desire all in the span of 7yrs of college which included working the entire time...thing is, I only enjoyed ONE of the discipline and today am not even using that because of health related limitations. If you can't think to your best it's hard to work in the field you love.

But in all the time I spent in college/university I never was taught the value of a true liberal arts education. It ALL comes from there...science without philosophy is where the true dangers lie...of course life w/o philosophy is a life that typically is a life filled with regrets and failed promise which leads to the need to sit in judgement of others if only to make ones life seem of value after all.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote