View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #10
bobcdy
Fanatic
bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobcdy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bebook; prs-950; nook simple touch; HTC Jetstream tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
Oh well, forgot the question of our workflow, here goes:

[LIST][*]Scanning from original source (printed book) with Finereader (often source is printed with blackletter, as we specialize in 19th and early 20th century literature in danish - so we use the training ability of Finereader a lot, since there are many variations in the blackletter fonts used back then!)
Kim
In the past I've tried (and tried and tried) to train FineReader 10 to handle old English (with ligatures) texts, and I concluded from my efforts that FR10 was a very slow (no?) learner. Eventually I gave up and just used MS word auto-correct options, eventually reaching a fully corrected version of the text - but this was very time consuming because FR10/11 is confused by the ligatures; for example, it would interpret the c-t ligature (probably the most difficult for it) in many different ways.

Finally I purchased the upgraded FR XIX Fraktur edition (Recognition Server v3) when ABBYY greatly reduced its price. Still pretty expensive but certainly worth the price if one works with 18th/early 19th century books. What a difference! RS3 reduced correction/proofing time by many days per book!
bobcdy is offline   Reply With Quote