View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
A dash can be inside or outside quotes. Is this handled correctly?

Code:
<p>"Blah blah"--he said, and continued--"blah, blah blah."</p>
<p>"Blah blah--" he said, and continued, "--blah, blah, blah."</p>
and you already know that the dashes could be spaced or not...
Smartypants seems to handle that situation quite well on it's own--so far as I can tell.

In my wrapper script however, I do a little pre/post processing to achieve some personal goals that wouldn't be possible with smartypants alone (borrowing heavily from calibre). Those changes may not suit others, but they're pretty easily tweaked. For instance:

1) I preserve any html comments present. Smarty would butcher those double-dashes (calibre does the same thing).
2) I remove spaces that may occur on either side of double-dashes; simply because I find spaces before or after emdashes aesthetically unappealing when reading.
3) Smarty uses numeric entities for the quotation marks, emdashes and ellipses it creates. I've made arrangements to selectively convert those entities that Smarty creates to characters where it suits me.

I think Perkins' script is only going to be dealing with quotation marks, though. Which makes sense since "fixing" the double-dash and the "three consecutive periods" stuff is pretty trivial, really.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-20-2013 at 05:55 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote