View Single Post
Old 11-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #17
GregS
Zealot
GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GregS has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: EZ Reader 5", Iliad
Suggested Design Tweaks

I just got my EZReader Pro 5". I have no brand loyalty, my Iliad was too big and heavy for everyday use. I needed something smaller, cheaper, lighter and simpler (with good epub support). The Pro came out tops in all categories.

In fact as features for purpose go the Pro is near perfect. I have now two 16 gig SD cards (one with music and another with epubs). Two minor problems exist which might be easily fixed.

1. Ideally I would insert the epub-SD and copy works over to the internal space without using a computer. It just needs a Copy & Delete function. That way it is simple for me to keep internally what I am reading, and remove what I have finished or lost interest in without cluttering things up.

2. I have been using TTS for years in education and when driving. The voice in the Pro is not bad, but it is not great either. The voice quality is the most important factor in TTS -- I need to be able to load my own voices.

3. TTS again, speed control is very important with listening. Adjusting the TTS speed right up to speed reading level (about 600 or more words per minute) would be ideal.

I am very impressed with the features of the Pro, I think its simplicity is a huge virtue -- it has everything needed and no clutter. A few tweaks would be great.

I was very impressed with the battery replacement -- I can finally plan for being away from power, I have started thinking of a solar panel recharging of a spare battery (I am that impressed).

TTS is a very important asset (I was worried epubs would not allow for this -- bu it has worked out well) Improve this just a little and I think it will really catch on.

The Pro might be really useful for the blind, if a index epub was somehow included for them which could read out page numbers and index numbers for navigation for whatever was on disk (maybe a small PC package to catalog things).

Greg, Perth Australia

Last edited by GregS; 11-27-2009 at 06:07 PM.
GregS is offline   Reply With Quote