View Single Post
Old 05-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I am on the board of directors of our county library. We participate in a state-wide consortium to provide e-books to library patrons through Overdrive. It's not perfect but it does provide e-books in all formats. I suspect most if not all states offer a similar service.

It's that part about developing a business model that is hard to achieve. As an e-book self-publishing author, I wish it was easier for independents to get into the Overdrive system. If I was a mainline publisher my concerns would be quite different. And libraries have their own administrative concerns.

This whole arena of e-books in libraries is still very much in flux. No question about it, publishers present the greatest obstacle. Still, it's not like you can't get them at your library. That said, no one is entirely happy with the current situation. One can only hope it will improve over time, and petitions like the one above can't hurt.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote