View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #56
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Still so many features not here yet, which makes the Touch a less-than satisfying experience. Can't wait for the next version. Bring back the buttons!

I'm so irritated with the Touch interface I even blogged on it. Hopefully Amazon is reading...

http://www.bighugenerd.com/1/post/20...ce-review.html
Have you actually tried KT with the latest update? The tap zones for single-character footnote links seem larger and are very easy to hit, even at the smallest text sizes.

Also an appropriately formatted footnote will have a 'return' link to take you back to the original reference. On KT this is much more convenient than using the 'hidden' Back button, or even the physical back button on previous Kindles. One tap only. The only time Back is needed is when there is no return link (or you move off the page where the return link is and can no longer access it easily). If the book doesn't include such return links for footnotes, that's something to take up with the publisher. It is a standard ebook formatting practice, regardless of format, especially with the advent of touch screens.

That said, Sony PRS-T1 is a little better at this sort of thing, and such navigation includes a visible Forward button (like a browser) so it is easier to go back and forth along a chain of references. Still not perfect, though. I'd like to see someone implement a 'History' navigator (again similar to a browsers) that lets you jump to any place you've visited without visiting everything in between. I saw this feature on a reading app for iOS, which unfortunately is no longer available.

One advantage of IR touch screens is you can use anything to touch. A stylus. A pencil eraser. A feather. You can have gloves on your hands. Anything that will break the IR beam. So no need to smear up your screen with fingertip oil if that bothers you. And this is MUCH less problematic than it is with backlit screens. I have yet to use any type of touch screen that was not at least sometimes balky. Capacitative touch screens don't always work responsively when my hands are cold or dry, for example. My MacBook Pro's touch pad can be very annoying in this respect.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-12-2012 at 05:33 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote