View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanker27 View Post
So, am I wrong in assuming hard turn on gobbles battery power?
No. The bootup does require a lot of power. However it all depends. Booting up once in 15 seconds would consume less power than staying in standby for hours.

Quote:
Is it simply a matter of dragging and dropping the uncompressed .hex files into (somewhere?) a folder on the (USB-connected) Story HD? Does this seem like it is the "complete firmware update?
Copy the main Hex file (the large one) into the main directory of the readers internal storage. The reader will update itself automatically then. Ignore the other hex files (they are small around 10MB, whereas the large one is around 80MB). The small hex files, if you attempt to use them, could brick your device irrecoverably. Happened to several people.

In theory the small files are supposed to be used after the large one (according to upgrade instructions on the russian iriver site, instructions which are missing on the english/international one). In practice no one's tried that yet and there is no reason to anyway. With the full firmware hex you might end up with the European flavor of the firmware which shouldn't be a problem as it's still English...

Quote:
How about sleep mode: should I set it for a longer delay than hard-turn-off: ie effectively "disable" it? Or am I misinterpreting you here?
It depends on your needs and personal preference. I set my own device to 24h standby too - simply because I prefer that over booting and losing my font size setting every time (I'm still using 1.13 myself which doesn't store those things). I don't worry at all about battery life - I just charge it whenever I'm not actively using it so I never run out of power.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote