View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Yes, it does.

I just sent a book that I did NOT purchase from Amazon to my iPad. I sent it as a mobi file (I converted it from an epub using Calibre) to my iPad's kindle address ([myipad'sname]@free.kindle.com). I sent it to the "free" part so's to ensure it went WiFi; as in, ensure I paid no fee...

After a bit, the book showed up in the iPad's Kindle app and I was able to open it, no troubles. The neat part is, sending the file to the iPad automatically stores it in your Kindle/Amazon Archive. This meant I was able to launch the Kindle app on my iPhone and access the book from the regular Archive.

And when I accessed it from the phone, it went to the last place I was. So, I went ahead two chapters on the iPhone. Then, I closed out the iPhone Kindle app and went back to the iPad. When I opened the Kindle app, it asked me if I wished to go to the last synced place in the book. I said yes, and I was right where I left off on my iPhone.

So, yes, you can now sync books you did not purchase via Amazon's whispersync method. And it's automatic. Now, I actually prefer to read my books with my e-ink reader, for long sessions, but I really do like this idea of syncing between devices.

Oh, dear. Does this mean it's time to think about buying a Kindle - so I can easily switch between three devices?

:Shakes fist: Darn you, Amazon!

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote