View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesler View Post
Interesting. I've been eyeballing Duokan for a while. I've heard its handling of mobi files isn't as good as the native Kindle OS. Space, font, style issues, etc. What's your experience?
There are some issues with Mobi files. A couple of the Project Gutenberg files I tried to open showed an error message and others loaded fine, so it seems pretty touch-and-go.

As far as Epub, everything went nicely.

Duokan has potential, but the translated version isn't quite translated all the way and without that, it just wasn't enough to keep installed.

UPDATE:

After uninstalling Duokan, I moved on to FBKindle and am much happier with that choice.

One huge advantage it has over Duokan is that there's no need to restart to switch to it as it runs in the background and can be activated by hot keys. Rolling a finger over alt, then shift, brings it right up. It also seems to be very highly customizable, with font and size tweaks for everything from book titles to the library tree.

You need to install Launchpad first, which confused me a little. You only need the lpad-pkg.tar.gz file to get it running, just put the matching bin file for your device on the root and install as usual. (The directory mnt/us means root, which I didn't know.)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97636 (Launchpad link)

Then, just follow the instructions from this link and you're off and running:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=107371

Should you decide to go that route, enjoy those Epubs!

Last edited by silasgreenback; 12-31-2010 at 12:58 AM.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote