View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 04:36 AM   #14
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Sorry to return to the original post but it is a major question and one I didn't find an easy answer to when buying my first e-reader maybe 4-5 years ago. The important thing is to continue enjoying reading.

For a first e-reader I’d suggest keeping things simple and going for a Kobo or Kindle Paperwhite. Kobo is probably best with support for epub books which are readily available. If you are going to buy your books on Amazon Kindle ebooks have their own format. Not such a problem if you are technically minded and can convert epub books formats on a computer to how you want but it may be difficult to start with.

Next is the size of screen. There are some who complain about their ageing eyes but I just enlarge the font on the Paperwhite. Relevant here is that I bought a Boyue Alita attracted by the note taking option and the larger screen. Apart from costing silly money and having little support this was a mistake on two counts. Firstly portability. My Kindle slips easily into a pocket and accompanied me a lot of the time. The 10” screen Alita is too bulky to fit in a pocket and so stays at home. The use of e-readers for note taking sounds great but it has a long way to go before replacing pen and paper or a PC.

Something that may not be considered is the possibility that e-readers just may not suit you. My wife was an avid reader and I bought her a Kobo. Why clutter the house with physical books when you can store a library in digital form? She doesn’t enjoy reading with the new technology. It’s got nothing to do with size of font or physical control of the device. That’s just how it is. In my case I’ve found e-readers an improvement and am reading more than before.

Battery life on e-readers is very good but be aware that if you have them internet connected during use the battery drains fairly quickly. They are also pretty rubbish for surfing. Reading comics for me is inconceivable without a colour screen. In the case of audio books most e-readers do not support them.

Avoid splashing out large sums for a first e-reader and remember that it is useful to be able to slip it in your pocket as a constant companion. If it doesn’t suit out of the box spend time with the instructions and explore the settings. It’s time well spent if you can then enjoy reading without fixating on the hardware.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote