View Single Post
Old 10-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #10
drogo
Connoisseur
drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.drogo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2r
Question 1 is: If I they really lock down the iLiad so nobody but them got root, fixed all local exploits and maybe install some kind of additional security layer to prevent their cusomers from using the device they bought in the ways they want to, and THEN release the GPL-sources, so we would have access to the sources, could build the system but had no way to install anything - would they be in compliance with the GPL?

Question 2 is: How big is the niche-market for ebook companies that say "We don't care about our customers wishes" ?
It's already been addressed, but the answer to Question 1 is "No".

The device is available now, but there is no source code available. IANAL, but my understanding of the GPL is that the source code must be available along with the official product. You can't release the product and say "We're working on making the source available."

If they're stalling on it in order to lock out customers, then it's my opinion that they will be fighting a losing battle. You shouldn't treat your customers as someone you want to "lock out". The smart ones will circumvent your locks, and the ones who aren't smart enough will probably not be willing to mess with it. As for those who mess it up, all iLiad support dept has to do is say, "That's unsupported firmware, I can't help you with it."

Which brings me to my answer to Question 2, and that would be "About as long as the Gemstar e-reader lasted".

Edit: I just saw the thread they've released the source for the PDF reader. Still waiting for the rest...

Last edited by drogo; 10-26-2006 at 10:41 AM.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote