View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 11:04 PM   #19
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
We agree that the style was affectless, but not the result. I was left with a sense of mostly repressed characters who had been ground down by life and circumstances. The rapper was the physical manifestation of all that repression.
The rapper seemed an odd intrusion into the story. I didn't know what to make of it, but suspect your sentence above is probably what the author intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The exceptions were Violet and Milo, and Christine for a while. It seems deliberate that she's different, still her own personality with agency, because she's not got her period yet. Poor thing, even her mother abandoned all hope for her once she was condemned to the technical school.
Christine's apparent failure did come as a surprise. I figured Florence was destined to fail but had thought the author might leave us Christine as a sort of consolation prize. If I felt real sadness anywhere in this book it was for Christine. (The movie, apparently, offers something rather more hopeful for her future.)
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote