View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 09:19 PM   #16
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I liked the book, although I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I was disappointed as I was reading the book because it did not match my expectations. I had never read anything by Fitzgerald before. I was expecting a more sentimental book and perhaps a transformation in characters and the town as a result of the bookshop. I think my expectations were influenced by the movie trailer. I haven't watched the movie so I don't know how faithfully it follows the book. It seemed that there were many moments when you still had hope that things would work out and improve and then it doesn't. On the other hand, as others have mentioned, I really enjoyed the writing and the imagery.

"Surely you have to succeed, if you give everything you have." Or maybe not.... The book is ultimately about failure rather than success. The last sentence of the book was a gut punch. She starts the book with anxious and sleepless nights and ends it in shame forced out of town.

However, I appreciated the book much more after finishing and reflecting on the bigger picture of the book's journey and having the perspective of knowing the outcome. I can understand why she made the character and plot development choices that she did now.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote