View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 09:48 PM   #30
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
For a book about a terrible tragedy with huge loss of life and terrible injuries, flippant remarks such as the one about the cow are at the very least inappropriate.

I can't see The Robe, either book or film, as having any connection whatsoever with Halifax and the explosion.

As for which Prince of Wales it was, the date would be quite a good clue. If someone reading didn't know and wanted to, they could always look it up.

This sort of thing might be okay in a novel, though I would be distinctly put off by such examples. It is not okay in a book claiming to be history, popular or otherwise. There are plenty of good popular histories and I have enjoyed several, as I have an interest in history. This is not one of them.
I don't find the cow remark flippant. It just seems to be a way of telling us the family owned a cow.

Citing The Robe identifies Douglas. What's wrong with that?

I'm glad you know when the various princes of Wales held the title, but I'm a dumb American and I don't. So I appreciate the context.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote