View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 07:26 PM   #22
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Oh, I'd agree Hersey's Hiroshima was superior in every way. And I almost nominated it again, but decided to go with something away from the main theatres of the war. And I'm glad I did, even though some of you really didn't like it. And I get that, but maybe we're looking for something a bit different in a history read.
I'm looking for something accurate and well-written. It's a straw dog to say that the issues arose from looking for something not directly about warfare.

Quote:
I'll be brutally honest -- I'm never going to read or want to read a thoroughly scholorly tome on war or history. I'm past the age where I find that interesting, and I no longer have to read them for an assignment or school. I enjoy reading history when it makes the history personal and interesting. I find I learn and retain far more from that sort of treatment than I do from something I might have read for a college course.
There's no reason at all that popular history can't be accurate and well-written, and Halifax fails on both counts. It's not that some of us are snooty; it's that Halifax is lousy, frankly. Poorly written, inaccurate and verging very, very close to outright plagiarism (and I'd quibble with the "close", but I'm not a copyright lawyer). You demean popular history and its readers by seeming to claim that accuracy doesn't matter, so long as the message sells.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote