View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
JBL fails on de-DRMed Amazon multivolume sets

Well, this is interesting. I figured I'd post here to see if anyone has encountered anything similar.

First, I'm using a JetBook Lite with the latest (last) firmware update. I'm also using Calibre 1.0 and the latest "tools."

I recently bought some "box sets" at Amazon -- multiple ebooks packaged as a single file. I liberated them from DRM, resulting in DRM free MOBI and AZW3 files. I then converted them to EPUBs. Nothing out of the ordinary, so far. This is what I do whenever I buy ebooks at Amazon.

The problem is trying to read them on the JBL. When I try to open the converted EPUBs I get the Hourglass icon for a few seconds, then the screen blanks to gray, and then it goes to the main screen -- the screen that allows you to select ebooks, photos, or administration. If I try to open the DRM free MOBI or AZW3 files it goes to the hourglass icon and stays there forever -- or, for as long as I've left it. I have to use the paperclip reset to use the JBL again.

These same DRM-free files work perfectly for reading in Calibre and when transferred to an Android tablet and opened with Aldiko.

No single volume ebooks I've gotten from Amazon have caused problems for the JBL -- not as MOBI or AZW3 files, and not as EPUBs.

Other "box set" or omnibus collections I've gotten from Barnes & Noble and Smashwords all work fine.

Has anyone encountered anything similar? I'd be interested in any suggestions.

I'd also be happy to split the "box sets" into their component volumes, if necessary. Can anyone suggest a way to do this? (Linux tools preferred.)
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote