Thread: Converting PDFs
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2003, 02:54 PM   #31
macrotor
Connoisseur
macrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it ismacrotor knows what time it is

Device: Tungsten|C with Nokia6200
Okay, I got pdftohtml to work on MacOSX. I was hoping to take a little more time and make it work directly from the Print window using the PDF scripting feature, but I just haven't had the time. In any case, here is how to compile it:

Get the sourcecode from:
http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/

It was at version 0.35 when I did this. If it is now a later version, than the following fix will not be necessary:
In the "src" directory, you will find a file called HtmlOutputDev.cc. Open it in a text editor and go to line 791. Remove the "= 1" from the part that reads "firstPage = 1". Save and close.

Okay, open up your terminal. We have to set OS X to use the older gcc compiler. Type the follwoing command:
sudo gcc_select 2

Now it's time to move into the pdftohtml directory and compile it using "make all".

Reset your compiler to the new version:
sudo gcc_select 3

There should be a new "pdftohtml" executable files. That file is all you need, so put it somewhere in your path. Type "pdftohtml -help" to get basic instructions on how to use it.

I always use the "-c" option so that I have a near exact replica of the formatted PDF. I then let iSilo do all the stripping. It depends on how fast you want it to work.

At this point, You'll have to help me experiment on what are the best settings. Exact replicas don't always fit on a Palm screen well. I hope this works for you!
macrotor is offline   Reply With Quote