View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #25
vanpelten
vanpelten began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I've looked at the second book mentioned in this thread (The Chronicles of Barsetshire) that has the same problem with Calibres smarten punctuation. The double and single quotes are set absolute correctly, every opening mark has an end mark. Additionally there are a lot of abbreviations like 'Tis or 'Twas or 'oo or 'em or 'cause or 'ere ... that surely cause these kind of problem.

But even after disguising these abbreviations Calibre won't convert the book properly - some sentences have the right quotations, others not, and I must admit there is only little logic to recognise which quotes Calibre converts correctly and which not. At the beginning of a paragraph there are mostly backward marks, inside a paragraph a dialogue sometimes starts with the right opening mark and sometimes not. All pairs of single quotes are converted correctly.
I'm not sure if this is really a problem with the file or with Calibre.
As a grateful lurker here, I just had to comment on this relatively new problem. Like you, I do not know if the backward quote phenomena are a Calibre issue or problems with the books under examination. I'm very glad the Mapp and Lucia books have been 99% corrected by another user, though he had to do it the very hard way. I also downloaded The Chronicles of Barsetshire and had the same experience described regarding the quotation marks at the beginning of sentences. There appear to be an even number of quotes on the 10 pages of html I looked at, though there's no guarantee that some are misplaced and some are just left out.

I hope the author or Calibre takes a look to see what, if anything, can be done.

Other than that, Calibre is one of the finest programs for avid ebook readers. Thank you!
vanpelten is offline   Reply With Quote