View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 05:44 AM   #2
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I posted this a while ago... got no reply....

"I use my PRS-900 a lot - and one of the things I do is reading PDFs and taking notes on them.

In a couple of weeks I have read about 60 pdf files and ended up with about 6-700 notes on them. I want to have the files with me, so I have been storing them on an SD card in my reader after I finish reading them. So at any given time I will have 10-20 PDFs in the PRS and the other 60 on an 16gb SD card, in the PRS.

Now, when I open a file (not a file from the SD card, any file) and write a note, things slow down. A LOT. For example, if I scribble on a page, then press the page-turn button, it takes anywhere between 40 and 50 seconds to turn a page. And it has been getting progressively slower as the number of notes increases. To the point of not being usable.

I think it has something to do with the way notes are being stored. For example, if I return to that page (which already has notes) and then try to turn a page, it will be the usual one-second page turn. But if I add any notes and then try to turn the page, it will take almost a minute. Even deleting a note does it. It's like any modification to the notes, slows it down.

Also, if I close the create/edit tool before turning page, it does not take nearly as long to turn a page. But closing the tool takes also about a full minute, if I have added any notes.

Of course, if I take the SD card out and the number of notes goes back to <200, then I don't see any delays.

Anyone else have this problem? I keep taking the SD card in and out as I need to, but it's getting annoying. It would be nice if I could just turn it off, but if it is in, my reader wants to add the notes to the main list of notes, and it becomes unusable."
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote