View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 AM   #32
EricNYC646
EricNYC646 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (stolen, so sad), PRS-300, and soon PRS-900
Here is my chat with Tech support, very unhelpful:

LiveAssist Chat
Status: Analyst Patrick_ is here and your issue status is: working Problem: I was able to use the 3.0 reader software without a problem, however since I have upgraded to 3.1, the software does not open, I have reinstalled, restarted, no help, I have even done the data excution protection instructions on sony kb, no help

user Eric has entered room

analyst Pete_ has entered room

Pete_> Hi Eric. Welcome to Sony Online Support. I'm Pete. Please allow me a moment to review your concern.

Eric> ok, last technician was disconnected, so I am trying again

Pete_> Thanks for waiting, Eric. I am sorry that you are not able to open the eBook Library software . I'll be glad to assist you with this.

Eric> thanks

Pete_> Please let me know the Operating System installed in the Computer.

Eric> I am on Windows XP 32-bit Professional Service Pack 3

Pete_> Thanks for the information, Eric.

Eric> sure

Pete_> Did you uninstall the previous reader library software?

Eric> yes

Pete_> Please stay online while I check this information for you.

Eric> ok, thanks

Pete_> Did you receive any error message?

Eric> no, it just does not come up, but when I open task manager I see it running, but I get no window at all, shows its consuming around 83 megs of memory

Pete_> Okay, Eric.

Eric> thanks

analyst Pete_ has been temporarily disconnected. Please wait while the analyst attempts to reconnect.

We are experiencing higher than usual service times. Please wait and an analyst will be with you shortly.

analyst Pete_ has entered room

Pete_> Did you try installing the software in different computer?

Eric> I tried on my laptop and it worked, but not on this computer, however the old version was working fine

Pete_> Since the Software is worked with your Notebook, the issue with the Computer only. Please contact the Computer service.

Eric> wow, that sounds bad, all my software on this computer was working fine, the only thing that changed was that the software (3.0), was upgraded to 3.1 and now the reader software is not working. I see on the internet that many others are having problems as well, but that is the answer sony is giving me, this really is unacceptable, I really thought Sony stood behind their products

Pete_> Eric, this is not a known issue with the Reader library software.

Eric> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65074

Eric> I am having the same problem they are describing, so how can it not be an issue

Eric> the exact same problem

Pete_> I'm sorry that we don't have any information about the third party dealers.

Pete_> I'm sorry that we cannot comment on those threads.

Pete_> I didn't receive a response. Are you still with me?

Eric> yes, but basically you can't help

Eric> so I guess I am on my own

Pete_> I would like to forward this chat to our next level of support.

analyst Patrick_ has entered room

Pete_> Please wait, while the problem is escalated to another analyst

Patrick_> Hi Eric. I'm Patrick. Please allow me a moment to review your previous chat transcript.

analyst Pete_ has left room

Eric> please, I am not trying to cause you any trouble, I really just want to buy books and read

Eric> thanks

Patrick_> Thanks for waiting, Eric. I am sorry that you are not able to open the eBook Library software . I'll be glad to assist you with this.

Eric> thanks

Patrick_> I understand that the Software is working normally with the Laptop and the issue persists only with the Computer. Is that correct?

Eric> yes and the computer was running 3.0 perfectly before I was told by the software on Friday to upgrade to 3.1

Eric> I saw in the Sony KB this: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/m...03504&fes=true

Eric> and I followed the instructions and it did not work

Eric> it told me to go here: http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1002267

Eric> and I did instructions 1-13 as instructed

Patrick_> Thank you for the information.

Eric> sure

Patrick_> Did you try installing the Software in the Safe mode of the Computer?

Eric> no

Patrick_> Please uninstall the Software from the Computer and restart the Computer. Then, install the Software in the Safe mode of the Computer to resolve the issue.

Eric> how do I put Windows XP in safe mode?

Eric> (uninstalling now)

Patrick_> Press the "F8" button repeatedly while restarting the Comuter to boot it in the Safe mode.

Eric> ok, if that does not work, how do I contact you to keep troubleshooting?

Patrick_> I assure that installing the Software in the Safe mode should resolve the issue.

Patrick_> If you have any further questions or you need any help, please get back to us with the same Email ID, we'll be able to retrieve the previous chat transcripts.

Eric> thank you very much

Patrick_> You're welcome.

Patrick_> It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Patrick_> It was really nice chatting with you.

Eric> Same here!

I tried to boot in safe mood and run the installer, and I get the following message:
'The Windows Installer service is not accessible in Safe Mode. Please try again when your computer is not in Safe Mode or you can use System Restore to return your machine to a previous good state.'

So in the end, I have moved nowhere.

How utterly frustrating. I wonder how the nook works, hmmmm.
EricNYC646 is offline   Reply With Quote